Writing Paper Part 1. Task Type: Essay
In your English class you have been talking about the different ways of studying English. Now your teacher has asked you to write an essay.
It is better to learn English in an English-speaking country rather than studying it in your own country.
Do you agree?
the benefits of learning in an English-speaking country
- the advantages of staying in your own country
- ................ (your own idea)
Write your essay for your teacher (around 140-190 words).
What you need to do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is looking for in a good answer.
Ideas for writing
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
- What are the advantages of learning English in an English-speaking country? (E.g. Immersion in the language? Cultural experiences?)
- What are the disadvantages? (E.g. Cost? Being homesick?)
- What are the advantages of learning English in your own country? (E.g. Being with friends and/or people who have similar language problems to you?)
- What are the disadvantages? (Lack of English input?)
- What is your final conclusion including an idea of your own?
Drafting and proofreading your work
You should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Have you responded to the statement and the notes appropriately?
- Is the essay organised in a clear and logical way?
- Is the language correct with a good range of structures?
- Is the style OK?
- Will it have a positive effect on the reader?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!