What we do
We help you, the Cambridge exam candidate, prepare for your FCE, CAE or CPE exam.
At Flo-Joe we don't go for meaningless Mission Statements. Our goal is quite simple: we want you to pass your exam! (And, if you're an English language tutor, we want to make it easier for you to manage your exam preparation classes).
for an English Language qualification is a serious business. Our experience of working with exam students over the years has taught us that the biggest obstacles you face are:
- Finding time to study outside the classroom
motivated and in control of your learning
your study time effectively for maximum results
How can Flo-Joe help you achieve 'exam success'? We provide effective* exam-focused,
self-study resources that
and test you on the skills, vocabulary and grammar that you need for each English
- help you study little and often so that you stay in control
the exam requirements so you know exactly what the examiner is looking for and
what you need to do to pass
you together with other candidates for help and support
not all. Because our resources are online you can slot in your learning from any
computer: at home, school, work, in the library or internet cafe.
Just 20 minutes a day brushing up on your English can make all the difference
between a pass or a fail mark.
short, we help you get organised, stay motivated and feel confident, right up
until the day of your exam.
easy for us to claim we're effective but check out our customer comments on the
right of each page of the Flo-Joe website. We were also the winners of the British
Council Innovation in ELT Award in 2003 and shortlisted again in 2007.
Flo-Joe was formed in 2000 by Fiona Joseph and Peter Travis, two former English
lecturers and textbook writers who, as teachers, had been frustrated by the lack
of flexible yet authoritative online self-study resources for Cambridge exam candidates.
We started from the belief that learning outside the classroom is just as important
for exam success as learning in the classroom.
Our award-winning online resources are used by individuals,
and in schools, libraries, learning centres and training departments all over
keeping with today's changing world, we're always developing new ways
of learning to make your exam preparation both fun and effective.
a snapshot history of how we've evolved. (And thank you to all those people who
supported us right from the start!)
First version of the Flo-Joe website goes live with resources for FCE and CAE.
Flo-Joe adds the revised CPE to list of exams
Flo-Joe launches Exam Success Plus series for FCE, CAE and CPE.
The Flo-Joe website is honoured with the British Council's ELTON award in 2003
for Innovation in English Language Teaching.
Launch of Flo-Joe Radio, a podcast for CAE students.
Flo-Joe's sister website Splendid Speaking goes live, with more podcasts and two
new products: the Splendid Speaking online course and Splendid Expressions. Flo-Joe
moves to new offices.
Shortlisted again for the British Council ELTON award. Set Texts podcast released.
- 2008: Launch of new website and updated resources for the revised
FCE and CAE exams.
- 2009: Flo-Joe launches an update service using Twitter
- 2010: Our tenth birthday! Plus new Set Text podcasts
- 2010: Flo-Joe's sister company Splendid Learning launches 'CAE Speaking Success', an online course for students needing help with the CAE Speaking paper.
- 2011: Flo-Joe launches its Writing Critique and Correction service for students preparing for the FCE, CAE and CPE exams.
- 2012: Flo-Joe's sister company Splendid Learning launches ieltsspeaking.co.uk, a website dedicated to students preparing for the IELTS Speaking exam.
- 2012: Flo-Joe's sister company Splendid Learning launches 'IELTS Speaking Advanced' an online course to support students preparing for the IELTS Speaking paper.
- 2013: Flo-Joe launches a PET section of the website.
- 2013: CPE materials updated for the revised exam.
- 2014: 1st stage of website update to make our materials fully responsive.
- 2015: FCE and CAE materials fully updated for the revised exams.
- 2016: Flo-Joe launches KET section of the website.
is one of several ELT websites under the Splendid Learning umbrella, a privately-owned company based in a leafy suburb of Birmingham, United Kingdom.
Joseph and Peter Travis were the two founders of the Flo-Joe website.
are some of the questions that people ask us.
I need to be preparing for the Cambridge FCE, CAE or CPE exam to use your resources?
Certainly not. Anyone who's serious about improving their language is welcome
to use our website, whether you're' taking FCE, CAE, CPE (or any other English
behind the name, Flo-Joe?
We're often asked what the significance
of the company name is. There's no real mystery; simply that Peter's
nickname for Fiona was Flo-Joe, and it seemed a good idea when we formed the company.
do you give away so much top-quality free stuff? Shouldn't you be selling
There are two answers to this. First, we like helping people (it
gives us a buzz when you email us with your success stories); second, by trying
our free stuff first you get to appreciate how learning online can be enjoyable
use the Contact Form to get in touch.