Writing Paper Part 2. Task Type: Book Review
You have been asked to contribute to a local arts magazine on the following topic:
|"The book I would most like to see made into a film"
Write about a book that you have read that you would like to see made into a film. Describe the book and discuss some of the problems or issues that a filmmaker would encounter in making a film from the book.
Write the book review for the editor of the arts magazine. (around 280 - 320 words)
What you need to do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is looking for in a good answer.
Ideas for writing
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
- First, decide which book you want to write about. It should be a work of fiction and it does not matter if a film has already been made of your chosen book. Write down one or two sentences to describe the outline of the book and who wrote it.
- Write down some key points about the setting, plot and characters of the book you have chosen.
- Now it is time to think about the issues or problems of turning your book into a film. Some of these general questions might help:
- is the setting very specific? e.g. in a particular country, or in a particular period in the past?
- does the storyline unfold over a long period of time?
- do the characters have any specific physical characteristics? do they change over time? might one character require two different actors?
- does the book contain a lot of dialogue that would work well in a film?
- Remember that while you are discussing these points you are also giving the reader the details of the story.
Drafting and proofreading your work
You should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Have you answered the question fully?
- Is the layout and organisation appropriate for a review?
- Is the language accurate with a good range of structures?
- Is the style appropriate and consistent for your review?
- Will it be genuinely informative to the reader?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!