Vocabulary practice for the Cambridge PET exam
In Part 5 of the PET Reading Paper you have to complete a text which has ten missing words. To complete each gap you have to choose one word from a choice of four (A, B, C or D). These missing words will often be synonyms. Synonyms are words that have a similar meaning like 'cheap' and 'inexpensive'. These quizzes will give you practice in the use of synonyms.
Which of the following words are NOT synonyms.
1) Complete each of the following sentences using the correct synonym.
2) Read the text below and choose the correct word for each gap.
One of the questions above included the following synonyms: 'strange',
'unusual' and 'different'. You could record synonyms like these
in your vocabulary book and write a sentence for each to show
their particular meanings.
* I heard a strange noise in the middle of the night.
* It's not unusual to get rain during the summer in the UK.
* We had a different teacher today because Mr Wright was ill.