Writing Task (go to Checklist)
Writing Paper Part 2. Task Type: A Review of a Book or Film
You see the following announcement on a website that sells books and film videos:
Submit a review of one of our books or film videos that you have enjoyed recently, and get 10% off your next purchase!
Tell our website users what it's about and what type of person it would most appeal to.
Write your review for the website users. (Around 220-260 words).
What you need to
do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is
looking for in a good answer.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
- Are you going to write about a book or a film? Write down the full title and make a note of the author (book) or the director/actors (film).
genre does your book or film belong to? A thriller, a love story, a horror story...?
- What's the basic plot? Make notes of the key points of the story but don't reveal the ending!
- Who are the main characters and what is most interesting about them?
- Is the setting or location of the book/film important? If so, make notes on this.
- What type of person would this work most appeal to?
You should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Have you included all the essential information about the book/film?
- Is the layout and organisation of your review appropriate?
- Is the language accurate with a good range of structures and some well-chosen adjectives?
- Is the style consistent?
- Will the reader enjoy reading your review?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!