Writing Task (go to Checklist)
Writing Paper Part 2. Task Type: Competition Entry
You have seen the following competition entry in a magazine:
WIN AN ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP AROUND THE WORLD!
If you could have three wishes what would they be and why?
All you have to do to enter our fabulous competition is to write and tell us what three things you would wish for and why. We are offering the holiday of a lifetime to the person who writes the most amusing or original suggestions.
Write your entry for the competition. (Around 220-260 words).
What you need
to do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is
looking for in a good answer.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
three things are you going to wish for? Perhaps choose one or two serious ideas,
and one amusing or original one.
1. For all the superpowers to cancel Third World debt
2. To have enough money to buy a motorbike
3. To be able to eat chocolate everyday without getting fat!
- Why have you chosen these things to wish for? Make a list of reasons to tell the reader
- Are there any negative repercussions that you need to consider?
- What tone are you going to adopt to get the reader's attention? A serious tone? Or a humorous one?
- How are you going to conclude your competition entry? You will want to make it finish in a way that will be memorable to the competition judges.
and proofreading your work
should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Is the layout and organisation appropriate?
- Is the language accurate with a good range of structures?
- Is the style appropriate and consistent?
- Will it have a positive effect on the reader?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!