Writing Task (go to Checklist)
Writing Paper Part 2. Task Type: Letter of Application
A restaurant in your region is to open shortly and the owner has placed the following advertisement in your local newspaper:
Please send us a letter explaining which post you are interested in and why we should consider you for the job. Interviews will be held a week after the closing date.
Write the letter of application. (Around 220-260 words).
you need to do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is
looking for in a good answer.
Ideas for writing
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
job are you going to apply for? Make a list of the skills, experience and personal
quailities that would be needed for the post.
e.g. chef - good at cooking(!), experience of working in a kitchen, lots of stamina, cool under pressure...
evidence are you going to use to show that you can do the job and that you have
the right personality?
'I gained valuable experience of working in a restaurant when... '
- How are you going to organise your letter? Try not to write more than four paragraphs.
- What time of day are you available to attend an interview? List some options in the final part of your letter.
and proofreading your work
You should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Have you answered the question?
- Is the layout and organisation appropriate?
- Is the language accurate with a good range of structures?
- Is the style appropriate and consistent?
- Will it have a positive effect on the reader?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!