Writing Paper Part 2. Task Type: Report
You have recently attended a week's training course and on your return you receive the following note from your boss:
|Hope you enjoyed the training modules. We're compiling a report to help us evaluate our Staff Development programme. Please send me an outline of what you did on the course, which modules were the most useful and your opinion of how colleagues would benefit from attending in the future. Thanks.
Write the report for your boss. (Around 220-260 words).
What you need to do to pass
Read our checklist first to understand what the examiner is looking for in a good answer.
Ideas for writing
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
- First, you need to invent some details about what the training course was called and where it took place:
E.g. Course title: "How to Manage a Department"; Location: Farley Training Centre
- Now make up some names of likely-sounding modules:
E.g. "Staff Motivation"; "IT Skills"; "Learning to Delegate"
- What particular modules were the most useful for you? (Don't forget to give a reason.)
"'Staff Motivation' gave me a useful insight into how to manage...."
- Which of the modules would be useful for your colleagues to attend and why? (Be diplomatic here!)
"This module was so useful that I am sure the technical staff would find it equally beneficial"
"You should send the technical staff on this course - they sure need it!"
- Think about the most suitable tone to adopt. As it is for your superior at work try not to be too informal, but equally there is no need to be overly informal as this is an internal document rather than a public report.
Drafting and proofreading your work
You should look at your first draft of the task and decide:
- Have you answered the question?
- Is the layout and organisation appropriate?
- Is the language accurate with a good range of structures?
- Is the style appropriate and consistent?
- Will it have a positive effect on the reader?
If the answer is 'no' to any of these questions then you will need to do some more drafting!