Use of English
Part 2: Word Formation (Forming adjectives and adverbs)
Complete each of the following sentences with the
correct form of the word in CAPITALS using hyphens where necessary.
1. The old man felt ........ by the dreadful living conditions he had
he was growing up.
2. Many young people train in gyms in order to achieve a toned .........
3. Jackie’s daughter is a rather ........ child - she’s full of mischief
4. The living room look cold and ........ when the fire wasn’t lit.
5. The romantic novel started with a young woman staring ........ into
the fire. What a cliché!
6. John muttered ........ under his breath about the volume of work he’d
been given but he didn’t dare complain to the boss.
7. As I climbed aboard the plane I was ........ reminded of the previous
time when my plane almost crashed.
8. The newspaper reported that an old woman had been ........ treated
while she was in hospital.