Use of English
Part 1: Open Cloze (Articles and determiners/quantifiers)
Complete each of the following sentences with the
correct article or determiner.
1. After borrowing two thousand pounds from you, the very ........ she
could do is offer to pay back a little each month.
2. ........ as I hate to do this, we’ll have to cancel the party if more
people don’t respond.
3. She wants to travel the world eventually but above ........ her priority
is to finish her degree course.
4. John doesn’t have many friends, just a select ........, who tend to
go along with everything he says.
5. Valerie and Simon can’t decide whether to make their home in France
or Australia. ........ way it will mean sacrifices for one of them.
6. In England, polo is a sport that is associated with ........ rich and
7. As a junior doctor there was ........ a time when I had to seek a second
opinion from my superiors before I made a diagnosis.
8. The company has had ........ of its employees taking sick leave and
it has decided to crack down on absenteeism.