Part 2: Open Cloze (Pronouns)
1 I've promised myself a holiday this year. I've been working too hard lately
2 I don't think it is a good idea to rush into making a decision without thinking of the consequences.
3 The two twins are identical. It's impossible to tell one from the other.
4 The employment situation here is much worse than that which exists abroad.
5 Have you been here before? No. This is my first time in London.
6 There's someone on the phone who wants to speak to you.
7 If everyone has finished we can go onto the next exercise.
8 You can please yourself whether you come to the party
or not. I don't care.
Part 2: Open
Cloze (Relative Pronouns)
1. The student common room is the only place where you can smoke.
2. The company are to introduce a policy whereby parents can bring their children in on Open Days.
3. Dr Adams, whose research paper has recently been published, will be visiting the laboratory next month.
4. I'm afraid there is nothing that I can do to help.
5. Nobody is sure of the reason why he decided to take on the job.
6. Will whoever missed Thursday's lesson see me this afternoon.
7. We saw two films last week, neither of which were very interestng.
seven defendants, two of whom were absent from the court, are charged with
Part 2: Open Cloze (Articles
1 We like to go back to Greece on holiday every now and then.
2 Of course you can come! The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
3 I had little idea of what he was talking about.
4 I'm afraid that's neither here nor there. Being out late is no reason for not doing your homework.
5 During the bombing campaign the general public must at all times be on the lookout for suspicious packages.
6 You've eaten more than enough cake for one day. Save the rest for tomorrow.
7 Do something! You could at least hold the door open for me.
8 I don't really know what to say other than try speaking to your friend about the problem.
2: Open Cloze (Modal/Auxiliary Verbs)
1. The plan has been found to have several weaknesses.
2. We will have been living here for 3 years by the summer.
3. I really do like going out at weekends.
4. My grandfather would always take me for a ride in his taxi when he visited.
5. When I got home I realised I had left my keys at work.
6. I think you ought/need to get you hair cut if you're looking for a new job.
7. To be taken three times a day before meals.
8. You should/must have known he'd be late. He never turns up on time for anything.
2: Open Cloze (Conjunctions)
1 The player was sent off because of a nasty tackle.
2 The government are planning an increase in interest rates owing to rising house prices.
3 Some people say he is lazy. On the contrary , I have always found him to be very hard working.
4 The food here is great, which is in contrast to the awful weather.
5 While working with this equipment always wear protective clothing.
6 We had scarcely left the house when it started to rain.
7 She retired from work so as to follow her business interests.
8 He got the job despite being late for the
Part 2: Open Cloze (Prepositions/Phrasal
1 Have you heard?
Sam's got engaged .......... Susan.
2 Let me run
.......... a few of the benefits our scheme offers you.
I think that ......... the circumstances it would be a good idea if you stayed
at home for a few days.
4 Therefore, ..........
accordance with our regulations, you will be issued with a formal written warning.
5 Following the financial scandal he left the job
6 Our teacher is really intolerant
.......... anyone who has a different point of view to her own.
So .......... what grounds are you claiming compensation?
8 Yes, but .......... respect, you did miss the last meeting, didn't you?
Part 2: Open Cloze
1. Can you keep an eye on my car while I go in the shop?
2. If we make a mistake in the exam can we cross it out?
3. Whose turn is it to do the housework?
4. I'm going to take a chance and ask her if she wants to go out somewhere.
5. I've tried telling him that I don't want to see him again but he doesn't seem to be getting the message.
6. The mountaineers reached the summit on the fourth day of their ascent.
7. I don't know what's wrong with me lately. I keep losing my temper with everyone.
8. You should try to pay more attention in class.
|© COPYRIGHT Flo-Joe 2003. All rights reserved.|